Getting the best gun safe to keep your firearms safe and secure is going to be one of the most sensible decisions that you ever make.
In this way, rather than running the risk of letting other people get their hands on your guns, you can make sure that you keep them as safely stored away as possible. This is especially important if you have children in the house who might otherwise find any firearms left lying around the place.
Thankfully, you have come to the right place to find out all about how to look after your firearms and keep them out of harm’s way.
By bearing the following points in mind you can be sure that you choose the best gun safe for your needs.
The Benefits of Owning a Gun Safe
Of course, the biggest benefit to getting a strong gun safe is that you have a secure place to store these objects when they aren’t in use. This will give you a great deal of peace of mind, as you will realize that neither intruders nor inquisitive kids can get their hands on the guns – education on gun safety really is becoming essential.
It also means that you always know where they are all times, which in turn means that it is easy to collect them from your safe whenever you need them. There will be no more hunting around the house to find a rifle or shotgun whenever you need it or in an emergency.
Another worthwhile benefit with good gun safes is that they keep the firearms in them well protected from the elements and from accidental damage as well. The best ones come with a soft padded interior that helps to avoid scratches and other types of damage.
Finally, it is also important that you use a high quality gun safe in order to stay on the right side of the law. If you have a good safe or gun cabinet then you will generally be protected from civil liability if your guns are used inappropriately by someone who get holds of them from in there.
There is widespread support for making gun safes a legal requirement in the US but at the time of writing this isn’t yet a law.
Essential Gun Safe Features
Most of the best gun safes and gun cabinets around are fairly simple, as not a huge amount of technology is needed in these safes. However, there are a few features to look out for.
1. Twin security key locks for added security. With two keys needed to open it, this kind of gun cabinet is twice as difficult for someone else to break into.
2. Multi-level lock. Something like a 7 level lock will give you a strong safe that is extremely resilient.
3. Password controlled. Some safes will come with a keypad that lets you control access through a password or security number.
4. Biometric access. By restricting access on a fingerprint basis you can ensure that no-one else can get into the safe. A point worth remembering here is that it is worth scanning your different fingers in different positions, to make sure that you can open it easily every time.
5. A sturdy steel construction. Interestingly, it is also possible to use a glass fronted gun safe as long as the glazing gives the same strength of protection as a full steel safe would.
6. Locking ammo section. An additional locking ammo section gives you extra security by keeping your ammunition separate from the guns.
7. Possibility of hanging or fixing. Some models come with accessories that allow you to hang them or fix them to the wall. This gives an extra level of security, as it makes it more difficult for someone to just take it away with them.
8. Foam protection. Some of the best gun safe models around will also protect the firearm thanks to the fact that they have a soft foam interior. This is especially important in portable handgun safes.
9. A long warranty. With such an important purchase you will be keen to choose a product that has a long warranty. A safe being a safe, there shouldn’t be anything that goes wrong but it’s nice to be covered – try and stick with the most popular brands.
10. Easy access. If you want a gun at home for personal security reasons then you will want to be able to access it easily in the case of emergency. Some people also like one that has a silent opening facility, while others prefer for it to make a loud warning noise when opened.
Find the Size of Safe You Need
If you don’t want to be in the market for another safe in the near future then it makes sense to look for one that is big enough to house your current firearms collection as well as any that you might buy in the future.
There are gun cabinets of all sizes on the market just now. Some manufacturers will advise of their capacity in liters while others will state how many guns can be stored in their cabinets.
Be sure to take some time to look at the stated capacity, even if the safe looks big enough at first sight. Of course, if you just need to store a handgun on the move then you can do this, while you can also get a safe to cope with the biggest rifles or shotguns around.
Still not sure what size you need? Check out the video below!
Our Top 5 Gun Safe Reviews
The following are some of the most popular gun safes that you might be interested in finding out more about.
First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun or Pistol Safe
The First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun Safe is the kind of small and highly portable gun safe that is perfect for carrying around a portable handgun or pistol. The firearm is protected in an 18-gauge steel container that is opened by typing a three to eight digit code on the keypad.
Inside, the foam padding helps to keep the gun looking good and free from damage. The device runs on 2AA batteries and comes with a 5 year warranty.
- Highly portable
- Quick entry
- Attractive design
- Small and easy to mount, if needed
- Fairly short battery life
- Some owners have complained of issues when programming the access code
GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe
The GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe has been cleverly designed with a drop down drawer for speedy access in case of emergency. In terms of the construction, it is made of 18-gauge steel and has a protective foam interior.
The safe comes with all of the accessories needed to mount it in the way that best suits you. In addition, there is also a backup override key included as well.
- Fast access
- Easy mountable
- Easy to use
- Batteries don’t last very long
- Can be slightly difficult to open in the dark according some gun safe reviews
GunVault GV2000S Multi Vault Standard Gun Safe
One of the stand-out features of the GunVault GV2000S Gun Safe is the fact that it features technology that allows you to open it without looking, which means that it is possible to open it easily and safely in the dark. This could be hugely important in the event of an intruder entering your home.
The computer will block anyone who enters the wrong code on multiple occasions. The design is also as sturdy as you could hope for, while the fittings make it easy to mount it wherever most suits you.
- Easily open without looking
- Can be mounted anywhere
- 5 year warranty
- Sturdy construction with high strength locks
- Internal light
- Quite noisy while opening
- Some owners complain about not being able to pick the code they wanted
Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652
With the Barska Quick Access Biometric Rife Safe AX11652 you can store up to 120 different fingerprints to allow fast access for a range of people. It comes with 6 mounting points, mounting hardware, a couple of backup keys, and batteries.
Up to 4 rifles can be stored here, with a removable rifle barrel holder making it easier to store them neatly and safely. You can also turn off the notification beep if you want to be able to open it without the noise.
- Biometric access works perfectly
- Range of fingerprints permitted allows for great flexibility
- Silent access mode
- Good value price
- Longer rifles or those with scopes may not enter easily
- Needs to be mounted to keep it upright
Stealth Handgun Hanger Safe Quick Access Electronic Pistol Security Box
This safe is big enough to hold 3 handguns hanging down ready to use and 2 lying flat. The drop down door and the way the guns are stored means that it is designed to gets the guns out and ready to use in a question of seconds.
It is made of a sturdy construction and has features such as anti-pry tabs and a red interior light. The interior is heavily padded to keep the firearms safe from damage at all times.
- High strength locking latches
- Clever, practical design
- Small safe but fits up to 5 guns
- Reliable opening system
- Very light if not secured to the wall or floor
- Some gun safe reviews mention the beeping noise being slightly annoying