There is no denying that we all need to consider how best to stay protected at home. With a home in the US broken in to every 14.6 seconds it is no wonder that many of us decide that getting a gun is the smartest move these days.
Yet, keeping a firearm in your family home brings with it a range of possible problems. For instance, what would happen if a child or intruder got hold of it? Once you think about the potential dangers it is clear that just having a gun lying around the house isn’t something that you should be doing.
This is why it is so important to keep your guns stored away in a good quality gun safe at all times when not in use. To this end, there are a few important factors for you to bear in mind before going ahead and looking at 10 of the best models on the market right now.
- 1 The Different Styles
- 2 How Big Do You Need It to Be?
- 3 Access Options
- 4 The Main Brands
- 5 Our Top 10 Best Gun Safe Picks
- 5.1 First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun or Pistol Safe
- 5.2 GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
- 5.3 Stack-On GCB-8RTA Steel 8-Gun Ready to Assemble Security Cabinet
- 5.4 AmazonBasics Security Safe – 0.5-Cubic Feet
- 5.5 BCP Large 5 Rifle Digital Gun Safe Electronic Lock Storage Steel Cabinet Firearm
- 5.6 Stack-On PDS-1500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock
- 5.7 Cannon Safe 5524-30-H1TEC-17 Foxtrot 24
- 5.8 Gunvault GV2000S Multi Vault Standard Gun Safe
- 5.9 Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652
- 5.10 Stealth Handgun Hanger Safe Quick Access Electronic Pistol Security Box
- 6 Summary
The Different Styles
You should start off by considering the different styles of gun safe that could be of use to you. This will largely depend upon the type of firearm you have and where you want to keep it, as well as personal preference.
Bedside gun safe. If you want easy access to a handgun during the night then you could choose a small and convenient bedside gun safe. Some of them can be attached to a nightstand or even just placed inside a bedside drawer. This is something that need to be able to open quickly and without any fumbling in the case of an emergency, while an internal light can be a big help.
Wall mounted safe. Putting a gun safe on the wall has the obvious advantage of making it extremely difficult to just lift up and take away. These are typically small to mid-sized models and the key is in fitting it to the wall as securely as possible. Most good gun safes will come with pre-drilled and accessories for fitting them fairly easily.
Floor mounted safe. The biggest and heaviest gun safe models tend to be designed in order to be floor mounted. These are ideal if you have long rifles or a number of guns to keep in them. They also tend to offer space for storing accessories and important documents in them too. This kind of safe can be a nice feature in your home if you are proud or your firearms collection.
Portable safe. If you need to carry about a firearm for work reasons or for personal safety then you can choose to keep it in a small, portable safe that only you can open. These aren’t as resistant as bigger safes but are a good option while you are on the move. Typically, they can be secured in a car trunk if needed.
How Big Do You Need It to Be?
Once you start looking at models you will soon see that there are numerous different sizes around for you to choose from. It is important that you take the time to choose one that suits you in this respect too.
To fit one handgun. Many people simply need a gun safe that is big enough to fit one handgun in it. This is typically the case when it is home security reasons and will be kept near the bed all the time. There is no need to get a cavernous safe if that is all you need.
Multiple handguns. Another possibility is that you want to keep a few different guns in there. In this case, it may be that there are a few people in the house who need to use it. You will want to choose a model that lets you store them neatly, for rapid access and to avoid damage.
A big collection of firearms. If you are a hunter or have a big collection of guns for some other reason then you will need to consider your new safe’s dimensions more carefully. Thankfully, many models come with rifles racks and different compartments to make it easy to take one out when needed.
Other items to be secured. These safes are also perfect for storing money, valuable documents, ammunition or anything else that you want to keep away from harm. This is especially true with fireproof models. It makes sense to think about what else you could use it for before you go ahead and decide to buy one.
Think of the future. Will you have a bigger firearms collection in the future or will your needs likely change in some other way? It is always worth looking ahead before you make any big purchase like this, rather than ending up with something that you can only user for a short period of time.
There are also a number of different ways of opening these safes to take into account. Which one is right for you? You need to take the speed and ease of access into account, as well as the number of possible users of the safe.
Key-operated. The classic method of using a key to open your safe is still available. Some people find this approach best because it is something that they are familiar with and comfortable doing. Others worry about losing the key or fumbling to use it in an emergency or if it is dark.
Keypad with code. Putting a code into a keypad is a smart, modern way of opening your gun safe very quickly. This is ideal for some gun owners, although you will need to be careful that you don’t forget the code or that someone else finds it written down. Therefore, a code that is simple to remember but that no-one else could guess is essential.
Biometric access. The most secure way of keeping your guns out of anyone else’s reach is to use a safe with biometric access. This means that you can open the door by just scanning your fingerprints. Naturally, you will need to make sure that your prints are scanned carefully, so that it recognizes you each time without any fuss. You can also give access to other people by scanning their fingerprints too.
The Main Brands
There are numerous top class gun safe brands out there, although you might never have heard of them if this is your first time looking for one of these products. The following are a few of the names you should be looking out for.
First Alert. This highly respected security company offers a wide range of products to keep you and your family safe at home. They have sturdy gun safes in a range of sizes that tend to be very good value for money.
GunVault. The safes from GunVault are described on their own site as “premium security products”. Among the features that make them so useful are their clever No-Eyes keypad and biometric access pad. They have been in the gun safe business for 25 years and their products come with a useful 5 year warranty.
Stack-On. Stack-on gun safes have been a solid choice for over 4 decades. They offer an excellent selection of models, many of which are fireproof and waterproof. As you would expect, you can choose from different sizes as well as various access methods.
Barska. This specialist firm has a long history of producing quality gun safes, as well as other products for anyone who enjoys hunting and other outdoor activities. Their products are distributed all over the world and they have a big selection of biometric, easy access models.
Stealth. Stealth has been in the gun safes industry for 40 years and has some excellent models. They also back up their product with tremendous warranties for complete peace of mind. In addition, they also say that they use more steel than leading competitors, leading to top quality safes that aren’t the cheapest around but are powerfully built.
Cannon Safe. The history of Cannon Safe goes back to the mid-1960s. These days, they offer a varied mix of models that are designed to fit in with any lifestyle. It is well worth taking a look through their collection to see if there is one that suits you.
Our Top 10 Best Gun Safe Picks
- 18 gauge steel
- No-eyes keypad for rapid access
- Steel cable and mounting holes for fixing in car trunk or to a shelf
- 5 year warranty
- Small and easily portable but solidly built
- Digital keypad offers fast and convenient access
- Drop down drawer lets you get the gun in your hand in next to no time
- Hardware included for different mounting options
- 18 gauge steel with foam-lined interior
- 5 year warranty
- 3 point locking system
- Removable steel shelf
- Include barrel rests
- Can hold 8 rifles or shotguns
- Pre-drilled holes for mounting
- Electronic lock and 2 emergency over-ride keys
- Interior shelf can be adjusted or removed as needed
- 4 bolts for wall, floor or shelf mounting
- Carpeted floor to protect your guns from damage
- Good value
- Room for up to 5 rifles and ammunition or accessories
- Electronic keypad and 4 emergency keys for manual access
- Solid steel construction
- Can be easily mounted to a wall
- Compartment for handgun or documents
- Designed to fit inside a drawer comfortably
- Electronic lock that can be re-programmed simply
- Versatile and portable
- Steel doors are made of solid steel and are pry resistant
- Dashboard faceplate shows the current safe status
- Fireproof with a 30 minute rating
- Capacity for up to 24 guns
- Lifetime brand promise covers replacement parts
- 5 year warranty
- Three locking bolts and dual stage triple fin door seal
- Close to impossible to pry open using hand tools
- Blocked after repeated incorrect attempts to enter code
- Multiple mounting options
- Interior shelf can be removed
- Foam-lined interior for more protection
- Fast and easy biometric access
- Stores up to 120 fingerprints
- Room for up to 4 rifles and ammo
- Silent opening
- Internal rifle rack can be removed
- Keeps 3 handguns ready to use and 2 stored flat
- Quick access door drops down using spring action
- Made of solid steel
- Electronic keypad with 6 digit code
- Accessories for easy mounting
Choosing the ideal gun safe is a big step towards keeping you and your family well protected at home. By taking just a little bit of time to consider the various matters we have covered here you should find that choosing the right model becomes a lot easier to do.