Cleaning your gun is an important task that you will want to get just right. This means that it makes sense to go about it in the right way. Part of the secret to doing this well is in being well-prepared for the job.
One valuable accessory that lets you do this is the gun cleaning mat. This is a simple thing that nevertheless carries out a valuable role in helping you to clean your firearms without any fuss.
What should you look for in the best gun cleaning mat and how can you make a smart decision on the one that you buy?
- 1 Why Use a Gun Cleaning Mat?
- 2 Making The Right Choice
- 3 Our Top 10 Gun Cleaning Mat Reviews
- 3.1 1. Allen Handgun Cleaning Mat, Gray, 14″ x 22
- 3.2 2. American Whitetail Biggest Long Gun Cleaning Mat
- 3.3 3. TigerBoss 12-Inch X 36-Inch Long Gun Cleaning Mat
- 3.4 4. Otis Technologies AD-3800 Sportsmans Mat
- 3.5 5. PORMUCAL Glock Cleaning Mat 11″ x 17″
- 3.6 6. Rogue River Tactical Gadsden Don’t Tread on Me Flag Gun Cleaning Mat
- 3.7 7. Real Avid Handgun Range Station
- 3.8 8. 1911 diagram FIXMat BenchMate 11 X 17 Handgun Cleaning Mat
- 3.9 9. Planet Eclipse Tech Flex Gun Mat
- 3.10 10. Otis Technology Gun Cleaning Mat 11″ x 17″
- 4 Our Final Thoughts
- 5 FAQ’s
Why Use a Gun Cleaning Mat?
The first point to consider is why you even need a product of this type. Is it something that is absolutely essential or is it just nice to have around in case you ever need it?
This sort of mat gives you a few different benefits that are worth having. For example, it gives you a good level of protection while you are cleaning the gun. This means both protecting the gun from scratches and also protecting the work surface below it from getting dirty or oily.
The mat itself is designed to be easy to clean. This means that you don’t need to waste a lot of time on tidying up after cleaning a gun.
Some of them also have designs or graphics that are there to help you and also teach you about gun parts. Others are plain and simple, though.
Making The Right Choice
There are a few different factors to take into account before making your choice.
- The size. Is it big enough to comfortably fit your gun and cleaning materials on it?
- The portability. Can you take it away with you easily enough? Can it be rolled up or does it come with a carry case?
- The design. Maybe you prefer a simple, plain design or perhaps you want something more interesting.
- The materials. In most cases, these mats have a soft rubbed surface and a non-slip base. This is the right combination to protect your gun and making cleaning it easier.
Our Top 10 Gun Cleaning Mat Reviews
The following are a few of the best gun mats around that we have looked at.
1. Allen Handgun Cleaning Mat, Gray, 14″ x 22
This is a simple looking gun mat that does what you would expect it to do. The full dimensions for the Allen Handgun Cleaning Mat are given as 7.2 x 5.5 x 1.2 inches, with the weight as 6.4 ounces. The gray color gives it a sensible, classic look that should appeal to some people.
As you would expect, this mat comes with a waterproof liner and protects against spillages, even when it is a harsh liquid such as oil or cleaning solvent.
Among the advantages is the fact that it can be easily folded up to be stored away. It is also worth pointing out that this cleaning mat can double as a range pad when needed. It seems nicely durable and resistant too.
- A good size for most people’s needs
- Very easy to clean and also to store away
- Feels nicer to touch than many other mats of this type
- Some users prefer a more attractive design
2. American Whitetail Biggest Long Gun Cleaning Mat
This model is marketed as being the largest gun cleaning mat for sale right now. It measures in at a whopping 38.5 x 0.2 x 18 inches but weighs just 1 pound.
The design of this American Whitetail Biggest Long Gun Cleaning Mat includes a non-slip bottom and surface. The materials used feel durable and of good quality that should stand up to the test of time well enough. It is nice and soft on the top to protect the gun from any sort of damage too.
If you like your gun mat to have a nice design on it then you may be attracted to this model. It comes with an American flag image that has different firearms features on the stripes.
- Probably the best gun cleaning mat if you need a lot of space
- Nice image that makes it a bit more interesting to look at
- Good quality materials give this mat a solid feel
- The large size of this product may make it more awkward to store after use
3. TigerBoss 12-Inch X 36-Inch Long Gun Cleaning Mat
With this cool-looking mat you get a neat set of gun diagrams. The surface shows a parts diagram that has the parts labeled so that you can easily identify them.
It has neoprene rubber backing to ensure that it doesn’t move around while you work on it. The surface is soft enough to keep your gun free from damage too.
As it normal with this kind of mat, its main job is to protect the surface that you are working on from being damaged by cleaning solvents or lubricants. It measures 36″L x 16″W x 0.12″H, meaning that it is a good size for a variety of small handguns and some rifles.
Check out more reviews on amazon.
- Nicely labeled diagram that helps you to identify the parts of the gun as you clean it
- Non-slip bottom and soft top surface
- A good size for many different types of gun
- A few spelling errors noted on the mat
Here’s a cool video of the mat in action!
4. Otis Technologies AD-3800 Sportsmans Mat
This is a highly versatile mat that it is claimed has more than 1001 uses. The Sportsman’s Cleaning Mat has dimensions of 18 x 5 x 2 inches and a weight of 6.4 ounces.
For many gun-owners, the principle use is likely to be as a cleaning and reload mat. However, the manufacturer lists other uses such as for sitting or kneeling on while out hunting.
It is waterproof and appears to be made out of neoprene. This cleaning mat for guns is made in the USA and looks like a decent option for anyone who likes their accessories to be versatile as well as dependable.
- Sturdy and looks like it will last for a long time
- Versatile mat with a range of different uses
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- A few issues noted with it being dented a bit too easily
5. PORMUCAL Glock Cleaning Mat 11″ x 17″
This is another gun cleaning mat that has diagrams of labeled gun parts on it. In this way, it is more fun to clean your firearms and you might also learn a few things as well.
It is a fairly big mat at 11” x 17” and is nice and thick too. The design shouldn’t fade over time, as it is said to be waterproof, scratchproof and resistant to oil and to fading. It is also good to see that it easily rolls up to make it more portable and easier to store.
The main jobs of the best cleaning mat models are handled well. It absorbs oil and solvent to keep your work surface clean, as well as protecting your guns from getting damaged as you clean them.
- A good design featuring a gun parts diagram
- Good materials
- Carries out the basics well
- Some other mats feel a bit better to the touch
6. Rogue River Tactical Gadsden Don’t Tread on Me Flag Gun Cleaning Mat
In this case, you get a good quality gun mat that features a snake and the “don’t tread on me” phrase on it. It measures in at 16 x 10 inches, making it a useful size for the majority of gun owners.
This Rogue River Tactical Gadsden mat is waterproof and can be easily rolled up to store or else to take away with you. As is typical with this kind of product, it protects your gun on the top and has a non-slip surface on the bottom.
It is another USA-made gun cleaning mat that has a good reputation for delivering a quality performance.
- Easy to use and to carry around
- Interesting design
- A good size for most people’s needs
- Some gun-owners prefer a simpler, less eye-catching design
7. Real Avid Handgun Range Station
This is an interesting option that gives you more than just a cleaning mat for your gun. Instead, it gives you a complete range station that can be used to get yourself more organized every time that you head over to the firing range.
The mat itself is 12 x 24 inches in size. As usual, it is non-slip on the back and protective on the top. It is also oil and solvent resistant, making it easy to clean after use.
Once you open up the case and unroll the padded mat you can also the case to store a couple of ammo box inners. You can then keep everything need and organized at all times.
- Makes it easy to keep your gear organized
- Cleverly designed
- Good quality of mat
- Can be awkward to carry around
8. 1911 diagram FIXMat BenchMate 11 X 17 Handgun Cleaning Mat
This is another well-designed cleaning mat that has a handy gun diagram showing labeled parts on it. This FIXMat BenchMate 11 X 17 Handgun Cleaning Mat is a decent size for helping you to look after you firearm safely.
The top surface is soft and is made using polyester. Underneath this, the neoprene rubber backing stops it from slipping while you use it.
The overall size is 11″ X 17″ and it does a good job of stopping potentially harmful chemicals and oils from causing any damage to the work surface.
- Interesting gun parts design
- Appears to be very well-made using good materials
- Protects guns from damage
- A few users have complained of a strong rubbery smell
9. Planet Eclipse Tech Flex Gun Mat
Is this bright green option the best gun cleaning mat for your needs? It measures 16 x 12 inches and weighs 1.6 pounds.
Interestingly, this isn’t smooth on top like most gun mats are. Instead, it is covered with lots of grooves and even some storage areas that act like pockets for any small items you want to keep safe.
This Planet Eclipse Tech Flex Gun Mat is thick and versatile. It may not be quite big enough for some large firearms but for many people it should be just fine.
- The grooved surface is useful for stopping small objects or liquids from escaping
- Handy pockets let you store screw and other objects
- Nice and thick
- The strong color may be off-putting for some people
10. Otis Technology Gun Cleaning Mat 11″ x 17″
At 11″X17″, this padded cleaning mat is a good choice for pistols and other small firearms. It is rubber-backed and that is what stops oil from penetrating through it.
As you would expect, it is non-slip underneath and is lightly padded on the top. This Otis Technology Gun Cleaning Mat makes life that bit easier when you need to clean out a gun and don’t want to make a mess.
The design is fairly simple, with none of the diagrams or graphics seen on some other models of this type.
- Small and easy to store
- Does a good job at keeping the work surface clean
- Lightly padded for greater protection
- You may prefer a more exciting design
Our Final Thoughts
Cleaning your gun is a task that shouldn’t end with there being a huge mess everywhere. Using the right accessories is a good start in doing this job neatly, and a great gun cleaning mat is one item that you won’t want to do without.
This may be a fairly simple type of mat but it is vital in keeping your work surface clean. Make a good choice and the process of getting your gun clean will seem like a lot less of a hassle.
Do I need a gun cleaning mat?
It is possible to clean your firearm without a mat of this type. However, using one makes the job less messy.
Can they be easily cleaned?
The general idea with the best gun cleaning mat models is that you just wipe off the grease and oil. They are designed to be resistant to the materials that you use
Can these mats be used for other things?
Some gun mats are specifically marketed as being multi-purpose. With others, you might discover other uses you get started.
Can I use them as range mats?
Again, some cleaning mats are specifically designed for use at the range. In most cases, there is no harm in doing this even if it isn’t mentioned.