There are now different gun safes on the market for every type of person to house their firearms in. From huge models that dominate a room to portable pistol safes that can be tucked out of sight, it is worth checking out the different options before settling on the best small gun safe for your needs.
For many people, the ideal choice is a small, compact gun safe. There is certainly no reason to think that you need to spend a fortune on a massive model that is too big for you needs. So, what is the best small gun safe you can choose from the current options and what should you look for in it?
- 1 Benefits of a Small Gun Safe
- 2 The Popularity of Pistols
- 3 Features to be Aware of
- 4 Our Best Small Gun Safe Picks: The Top 5!
- 5 Conclusion
Benefits of a Small Gun Safe
To start with, we should look at why people choose a modestly sized gun safe in the first place. The truth is that there are a few reasons go for this kind of safe.
- More Convenience. A big gun safe can be awkward to move into place and then to set up. On the other hand, a smaller model can be simply used right away. Some come with pre-drilled holes to mount it onto a wall or the floor but some owners simply choose to put it in a bedside drawer.
- Lower Cost. It stands to reason that bigger safes are generally more expensive than smaller models. Not everyone wants to spend a lot of money on this item, especially if they don’t have a big firearm collection. A small and inexpensive safe can be a smart, affordable purchase.
- Portability. It is also important for a lot of people to have a portable gun safe. If you need to carry a firearm for work or for some other reason then the best small gun safe may be one that you can use easily in the car as well as at home.
- Size and Weight. It is worth remembering that not everyone wants a giant safe in their home. In some cases there may simply not be enough room to fit in a big safe anyway, or the floors may not be strong enough to supports its weight.
The Popularity of Pistols
Concerns about personal safety have seen the number of guns in the US rise to around 300 million in recent years. In many cases, someone who is worried about their safety will choose to get a pistol to store close to their bed at night.
Therefore, these people need a small and convenient pistol gun safe that they can use to store their firearms in. There is need for them to get a giant safe that is far too big for their gun. Instead, a small and easily accessed pistol gun safe will let them sleep more easily at night.
Features to be Aware of
The best small gun safe will have the same sort of features as a bigger model. However, it is fair to say that they usually not of the same high standard in terms of the protection that they offer.
A modestly sized safe can’t be expected to stand up to a sustained attack in the way that a full sized model may. Yet, there are some important features to look out for to get the best possible protection for your needs.
- Steel thickness. Since they are typically light, small safes don’t use particularly thick steel. This means that they are usually easier to open forcibly than larger models. Having said that, you should still look for a safe that is thick enough to give you peace of mind.
- Fire insulation. It is difficult to find a smaller gun safe that is fire rated. However, those models that can withstand high temperatures for some time give you the option of storing other valuables in there, if there is enough room.
- Locking and opening mechanism. If you are going to keep a handgun close to your bed then it is vital that you are able to open it quickly and effortlessly in cases of emergency. This is why modern locking mechanisms that use keypads or biometric access are highly recommended.
- Cosmetic issues. Choosing a small safe means that you get a model that is easier to add seamlessly to your home. Of course, the appearance doesn’t matter so much if you are going to store it in a drawer or under the bed anyway.
Before you take a look at our top 5 picks, here’s an awesome video that will really help you.
Our Best Small Gun Safe Picks: The Top 5!
The following are a few of the best gun smalls around that feature modest dimensions and that you might be interested in.
AmazonBasics Security Safe
This sturdy and attractive option is a good choice is space is at a premium in your home. The external measurements are 13.8” x 9.8” x 9.8”. Inside, it measures up at 13.5” x 8.75” x 9.5”.
The AmazonBasics Security Safe comes with an easy to use electronic lock (that uses 4 AA batteries) and a couple of emergency over-ride keys too. It is solidly built out of steel and has a 2 inch thick door. There is a carpeted floor inside to protect your handgun from damage at all times.
A removable interior shelf give you some flexibility in terms of how you set it up. Overall, it is about as good as you can expect from a low priced, compact safe.
- Electronic lock
- Well built
- Removable shelf
Stack-On PDS-1500 Gun Safe
The Stack-On PDS-1500 Drawer Safe is a good choice if you want to put your gun safely inside a drawer but also have easy access to it. The external size is 12” x 8.75” x 4.5”. Inside, it measures 11.5” x 8.25” x 2.25”.
The security it offers is enhanced by 2 live action steel locking bolts, together with concealed hinges. Access is through a programmable electronic lock that times you out after 3 incorrect attempts. There is also a back-up key provided.
It is easy to mount this safe to the wall or floor using the pre-drilled holes, although it should also fit easily into most drawers too. If you want to sleep more easily at night then this is a good choice of small gun safe.
- Good security features
- Programmable electronic lock
- Easy to mount
- Can be relatively easy for intruders to open
GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
This smartly designed handgun safe gives fast and reliable access to your gun every time that you need it. The GunVault SV500 uses a fast activation drop down drawer that means you won’t waste any precious time in the event of an emergency.
It is made of 18 gauge steel construction and comes with multiple mounting options. Access is through an electronic keypad that uses a 9V battery but there is also a back-up key included.
The outside measures 6.5” x 3.5” x 13”. Inside, it has dimensions of 2.25” x 5.75” x 8.5”. An interior light and foam padding make it more comfortable to use. In terms of drawbacks, it does get through batteries fairly quickly.
- Good mounting options
- Fast access drawer
- Interior light and padding
- Batteries don’t last for very long
GunVault GV2000C-STD Gun Safe
This 16 gauge steel safe can be mounted just about anywhere and in any direction. Inside, it has a protective foam lining and a removable shelf.
Access is through a programmable keypad, with automatic blocking when numerous incorrect attempts are made. It is built using a high strength locking mechanism and is put together to be almost impossible to pry open using tools.
This small gun safe is ideal if you want to have reliable access to your firearm even in the dark, as it has a no-eyes keypad and can be opened very simply even in a stressful situation.
- Good no-eyes keypad
- Strong locking mechanism
- Easy to open in a hurry
- Some reports of problems with keypad access
VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe
The features on this Vaultek safe include anti-pry bars and interior security brackets. It has been made out of 16 gauge carbon steel with a powder coat finish. The exterior size is 11.5” x 9.0” x 2.75”, and the interior measures up at 11.0” x 5.75” x 2.0”.
With a biometric fingerprint scanner and an automatic opening door, this is a quick access safe that allows users to get to their guns without any delay. It uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and has responsive LED lighting to make it easy to locate the safe even in the dark.
This portable safe is small and light enough to be used wherever you go. It can slide under a car seat and also meets current TSA airline firearm guidelines. If you prefer to keep it fixed in one place then you can use the hardware supplied and the heavy duty steel security cable to ensure that it stays in one place very firmly.
- Highly portable
- Biometric scanner
- Rechargeable battery
There are some very good reasons for choosing the best small gun safe that you can find. This kind of model is highly flexible and makes it easy to keep you and your family safe.
Look for the right dimensions and features in order to get the perfect gun safe that fits into your home and makes home security far less of a concern.