Keeping your guns in a solid safe is the best possible way of protecting your family at all times. Yet, there are some risks that you need to be aware of in order to keep your firearms in perfect conditions for years to come, and as im sure you’ve worked out, you’re going to need the the best dehumidifier for your gun safe.
If you’re in a rush, here’s the top 3.Table could not be displayed.
One of these risks is that of high gun safe humidity levels building up. This is something that you might not have thought about before now, but it is worth spending a few moments to think about it now. After all, it could be the difference between having some major problems in the future and being able to avoid them.
By looking for the best gun safe dehumidifier you can take a big step towards creating the perfect dry environment for your firearms to be stored in. You might be surprised to find that there are a few different options for doing this.
First of all, it is important that you understand why this product is important and then look at some of the options that are available to you. Let’s start by considering what harm could be done by having high moisture levels inside your gun safe.
- 1 What Damage Can Too Much Humidity Do?
- 2 What Else Can Be Done to Keep Humidity Levels Low?
- 3 How to Check the Humidity Levels?
- 4 What If You Notice That It Is Too Humid?
- 5 The Advantages of a Gun Safe Dehumidifier
- 6 Types of Dehumidifiers
- 7 Our 5 Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers!
- 8 FAQ’s
- 8.1 Is a gun safe dehumidifier necessary?
- 8.2 Are there other ways of keeping my gun safe free of moisture?
- 8.3 Does the seal of my safe not stop humidity from getting in?
- 8.4 Are humidity levels in a gun safe something to worry about?
- 8.5 Can low humidity levels in a gun safe be dangerous?
- 8.6 Which kind of safe dehumidifier should I choose?
What Damage Can Too Much Humidity Do?
The first question you might have is around what kind of damage too much humidity can actually do to your safe, as well as to the guns and accessories inside it. It might not seem like a big danger but there are definitely some issues that you need to be aware of.
The following are a few of the problems that can result from having a gun safe with high humidity levels inside it. It is worth bearing in mind that many of us don’t open our safe door very regularly. This means that any moisture issue can go unnoticed for quite a long time.
- Damage to your ammo. If you store ammo in your gun safe then it is at risk of damage from high humidity levels. It can reduce the performance of bullets or even stop them from working at all after a while. This is likely to be the first thing to be damaged if moisture levels rise too much.
- Encourages the growth of mold. A lot of dampness can lead to mold appearing in your gun safe eventually. This is most likely to start out on the foam coated pieces that are typically used in the interior of these safes and can spread over time. You can clean mold off gins but it is far better to avoid it building up in the first place.
- Causes rust to build up on the guns. Even the toughest and most durable looking guns can suffer from rust problems if humidity levels are too high. This can affect the functions and the appearance of the guns if it goes unchecked for too long. While it can be cleaned off up to a certain point, there will come a stage at which the damage is too much to clean.
- The safe can get rusty. Even a big, durable gun safe can succumb to rust damage over time. This is something that can slowly eat away at the metal over the course of months or years before you notice it.
- It can damage other items in the safe. Many of us use our gun safes to store important documents, jewelry, money, and other valuables as well as guns. Too much humidity can damage these things too. In many cases, these objects are fragile and far more susceptible to humidity damage than firearms are.
What Else Can Be Done to Keep Humidity Levels Low?
Since we are looking at the best gun safe dehumidifier here, we will be covering the advantages of these items. However, this isn’t the only way of maintaining acceptable levels of humidity inside your gun safe.
The following are a few of the other steps that you should take to keep this matter under control. Some are easy to carry out and some carry the task reasonably well, although none of them is enough on its own to you do without a good dehumidifier too.
- Put the safe in a cool, dry place. The part of the house where you put your safe is of vital importance. This is because you need to be sure that it won’t suffer from too much heat or moisture inside it or around it. It is common for people to store their gun safe in the basement, which is a room that can have dampness problems in some houses.
- Check inside regularly. There is the risk that the humidity levels build up inside your gun safe without you even noticing that it is happening. Thankfully, this is something that can be easily avoided simply by opening the door occasionally and having a look inside.
- Use a fan. Placing a fan near the safe help to keep it fresh and cool, which will also keep the humidity under control. This is likely to be more of a temporary solution to clear humidity rather than a permanent solution, though.
- Place desiccant silica gel packs inside. These packs – like those that come in boxes with new shoes – are ideal for keeping moisture levels low in a small, enclosed safe such as inside a safe. Many of the best dehumidifiers use this sort of technology but you can also simply buy some of the packs if you prefer. Remember that this material can be dangerous if eaten by children or pets.
- Use charcoal, baking soda or coffee grounds. Plenty of people swear by these things for helping to absorb moisture in any sort of situation. If you plan on using any of them then you will want to keep a close eye on how they are doing and replace them when necessary.
- Protect your guns from rusting. There are numerous products around that help you to keep your gun free of rust. These include sprays and creams. Remember that keeping your gun dry and clean is essential for avoiding it rusting.
It is worth pointing out that humidity levels shouldn’t be allowed to drop too low in your safe either. This can lead to the ammo drying out, for example. Look for humidity levels of around 50% inside the safe to get the ideal storage conditions for your firearms.
The climate where you live will play a big factor in how high humidity levels are. However, it is also worth checking out inside the safe as well. It could very well be higher or lower than you thought.
How to Check the Humidity Levels?
Maybe you wonder whether your gun safe currently has a dampness problem or not. This may be noticeable in severe cases but in other situations it might not be so easy to spot. There might not yet be any strong smell or signs of mold. That’s doesn’t automatically mean that you are free of problems, unfortunately.
The easiest and most accurate way to check humidity levels is with a hygrometer. This device lets you see exactly what the humidity level currently is inside your safe. They are inexpensive to buy and easy to use.
There are specific gun safe hygrometers for sale. These have been designed to go in a safe and will often tell you the temperature as well as the humidity levels.
You can simply put on of these devices inside your safe and instantly see whether there is a problem that you need to deal with. They are typically battery operated and only have a couple of buttons that you need to use.
What If You Notice That It Is Too Humid?
What if you are reading this too late and there is already a high level of humidity inside the safe? You may notice that there is a problem when you open the door and notice a damp, musty smell coming out of it.
In this case, you need to find a solution as soon as possible. The good news is that there are some simple steps that you can take to bring matters under control very quickly.
- Empty out the safe. By removing the guns and everything else from in here, you can look to lower the humidity levels quickly. This will also let you see what sort of damage has been done so far. You will probably also spot if there is something like a leak or a wet gun that is causing the problems in the first place.
- Leave the door open. Airing the safe by leaving the door open for a few hours can be a smart move that brings the moisture problems back under control. If there is an underlying problem then this isn’t going to solve it. However, it will help to remove the immediate danger while you look for a long term solution.
- Clean it out. You may be able to solve the problem by cleaning out the interior of the safe and wiping it down thoroughly. This could be the solution if the humidity has been caused by storing something that was damp in there. Even if this appears to have solved the problem, it is a good idea to check again regularly, in case there is some other sort of issue that is causing the humidity.
- Use a fan. We mentioned a fan earlier. Using one now can also help to lower the moisture levels. Just leave the door open and put the fan into operation in front of it for a while. This will get the moisture levels under control so that you can work out what to do next.
- Find the problem. As noted earlier, you might note what the underlying problem is if you clean out the safe. However, it may not be so immediately obvious. Is it just there is a lot of moisture in the air or is there specific problem such as water dripping into the safe or something else you can look to sort out?
The Advantages of a Gun Safe Dehumidifier
The points that we have just looked at may be enough for you to keep the humidity levels in your gun safe under control. However, if you really want to be sure that you will want to look for the best gun safe dehumidifier that you can find.
There are some worthwhile advantages to doing this that you should know about.
- The best solution. There is no doubt that using a quality dehumidifier is the very best way of keeping the moisture levels in your safe as low as possible. While the other methods we have looked at can being decent results, there is simply no substitute for using a dehumidifier that has been designed for putting in a gun safe.
- No effort involved. The suggestions that we have looked at so far all involve some sort of effort on your part. Thankfully, with a dehumidifier you don’t have to worry about anything at all. At most, you will have to renew the device every few weeks or months, but even this isn’t always necessary.
- Not expensive. Are you worried that this might be an expensive way of looking after your guns? You needn’t be, as this is generally an inexpensive purchase that gives you years of use at very little cost. Many of them don’t even use batteries or electricity to run.
- Highly portable. These are small, light devices that are easy to move around. Of course, the chances are that they spend the whole time sitting inside the same safe. However, if you ever need to move one then you can do this very simply.
- Long lasting. You can expect a good gun safe dehumidifier to give you years of trouble-free service. This gives a tremendous sense of peace of mind, as you will be safe in the knowledge that your firearms are safe and sound even if you don’t check on them regularly.
Types of Dehumidifiers
These days, the most popular dehumidifier for gun safe is the sort that uses silica gel. This is the same sort of thing that comes packed with new shoes and other products that need to be free of humidity.
These units aren’t electrical and can simply be placed inside the safe. The beads will change color as they absorb moisture. Once they completely change color they can be renewed either by drying them out in an oven or else plugging them in. You then put them back in the safe again.
These units can last for years, even when you need to renew them every few weeks. The frequency with which you do this really depends upon how humid the safe is. Some people find that the beads only change color very rarely or even not at all.
It is a very efficient way of taking moisture out of the air in a small space. The fact that you can see how much moisture it absorbs also means that you have a good idea of how humid the atmosphere really is.
The rod type of safe dehumidifier is sometimes called a golden rod. These are electrical units that give off just enough warmth to keep the interior of the safe a little bit warmer than the outside, allowing the air to circulate and keeping the moisture to be kept at bay.
This is another very effective method of keeping your gun safe completely dry inside. It works away silently and without the need for any maintenance work or care.
Some people prefer this type and others prefer the silica gel. Both are effective and inexpensive, so it is really just a question of personal taste more than anything else. There is no need to think that you need both of them.
Our 5 Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers!
Having looked at some of the basic details, it is now time to consider 5 of the best gun safe dehumidifier models around. There are all efficient and reliable safe dehumidifiers.
Will one of these devices be perfect for you? Each has some very positive points going for it that you might like to know about.
1. Eva-Dry E-333 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier – Best Safe Dehumidifier
This twin pack of renewable dehumidifiers promises that you won’t need to get involve with any messy refills. They run silently for up to 10 years and come with an excellent 5 year warranty.
The Eva-Dry E-333 Dehumidifier pack uses renewable silica gel technology. What that means is that you don’t need to use batteries with them or power them up in any other way. They will just silently get to work on absorbing moisture in areas of up to 333 cubic feet.
How can you tell that the unit has absorbed as much humidity as it can? You do this by looking at the beads. As they absorb moisture they change in color from orange to green. It should take up to 4 weeks for them to go completely green, although this really depends upon the circumstances.
Once the maximum capacity has been reached you need to plug in the unit in a well-ventilated area to renew it. Around 10 hours later you will see that the beads are orange and ready to be used again. You can keep renewing them in this way for up to a decade.
This is a child and pet-safe product that is guaranteed to never produce any spills or mess. It is also easy to use, as all you need to do is remember to renew the beads every month or so.
- Silent, no-mess operation
- 5 year warranty and up to 10 years of life
- Very easy to use
- You need to remember to plug in the unit to renew the beads every month or so.
The Goldenrod dehumidifier takes a different approach to giving you a moisture-free gun safe. In this case, you get a powered unit that slightly raises the temperature inside the safe in order to dry out the air.
This model comes with a lifetime warranty and is totally maintenance free. You simply put it inside your safe and then let it do its job day after day, year after year. It should give you years of trouble-free service in this way.
It gives you coverage for up to 100 cubic feet of space, so it is fine for all but the most massive safes. This product is built in the USA and it comes in 4 different sizes for varying models of safe. Just be sure to pick the right size for your own safe.
This dehumidifier rod is a little too hot to touch, so be careful about where you place it. The rod comes with full instructions on how to fit it and how to cut the cable to length so that it is less intrusive.
- A permanent moisture control solution with no maintenance required
- Lifetime warranty
- Full instructions for easy installation
- 4 different sizes to choose from
- Uncomfortably warm to touch
Still not sure? Check out this user review!
This is another fuss-free way of keeping your guns and safe without any humidity issues to worry about. The Pro Breeze mini dehumidifier works in areas up to 333 cubic feet.
It is a non-toxic solution, so it isn’t a problem if there are children and animals in the home, although you will want to keep them away from your gun safe anyway. This is a renewable dehumidifier that you need to renew after 20 to 30 days of use in most cases. Some users report that it lasts a lot longer than this between renewals.
There are no messy cables to worry about either. You just plug it in a socket to renew it and then place it inside the safe again. The renewable silica gel technology that it uses means that it can absorb up to 5 ounces of moisture.
When renewing the beads, you plug it in for 8 to 10 hours. The unit weighs just 15.2 ounces and measures 7.3 x 6 x 2 inches, as it is especially designed for use in very small spaces.
- Very easy to use
- Ideal for small spaces such as inside a gun safe
- Pet and child-friendly
- Economical option
- No warranty is mentioned
Coming from respected gun safe manufacturer Cannon, this silica gel dehumidifier is a good choice for most types of safe. It offers protection in spaces of up to 57 cubic feet and has an indicator that turns pink to let you know when it needs to be reactivated.
While many products of this type need to be plugged in to be reactivated, this Cannon Safe Dehumidifier just needs to be placed in the oven to be dried out. This probably makes it slightly easier, although perhaps not everyone will prefer this method.
Each packet measures 4 x 4 x 5.5 inches and is extremely lightweight. A few customers have noted issues such as the metal canister rusting and the beads breaking free when the package is delivered to them.
- Easy to use and reactivate
- Indicator shows exactly when it needs to be reactivated
- Small and lightweight
- Contains the toxic Cobalt Chloride
- Canister is prone to rusting, according to some reviewers
This small and extremely lightweight dehumidifier is ideal for use in a number of situations, with keeping a gun safe free of moisture chief among them. It measures 5 X 3.5 X 1.25 and weighs just 7.04 ounces.
The Barska dehumidifier has an indicator that turns from blue to pink when the time comes to renew it by evaporating the moisture that has built up. This is done by putting it in a microwave at 600w for just 4 minutes. This is a lot quicker than the models that need to be plugged in for several hours to renew.
One of these units should be more than enough for a small safe. Some owners even say that the dehumidifier never changes color, even after years, meaning that there is no need to renew it in the microwave.
- Simple to use and to renew
- A good safe for many home gun safes
- A low cost option
- Some users note that the unit can be ruined by microwaving for too long
Best Gun Safe Dehumidifier: Conclusion
It is clear that there are plenty of good reasons for looking for a dependable safe dehumidifier. This is an easy way of looking after your safe and your firearms. Even if you don’t live in a particularly humid area, your guns could be more at risk than you imagine.
The best models are incredibly easy to use and will give you a moisture-free interior for a long time to come. Therefore, it makes sense to just look for the features and the price that you are happiest with.
Is a gun safe dehumidifier necessary?
This isn’t strictly necessary but it is always a good idea to use one. It is especially important if you live in a hot, humid climate or don’t open the door of the safe very often.
Are there other ways of keeping my gun safe free of moisture?
There are. In the article we have looked at ideas such as using a fan, baking soda or coffee grounds. However, a good dehumidifier is going to be more effective at removing moisture from the air than any other approach that you might try.
Does the seal of my safe not stop humidity from getting in?
Some gun safes mention in their specifications the presence of seals. These are specifically there to stop smoke, fire, and water getting in and affecting the contents. However, there is no guarantee that they will keep out humidity.
Are humidity levels in a gun safe something to worry about?
It is definitely worth taking this issue into account. Humidity levels that are too high can lead to the safe and its contents being damaged over time.
Can low humidity levels in a gun safe be dangerous?
Yes, around 50% humidity is ideal. Extremely low humidity levels can as damaging as levels that are too high.
Which kind of safe dehumidifier should I choose?
As we have seen in these best safe dehumidifier reviews, there are different models around. These include renewable models that use silica gel beads and powered units. Each has its pros and cons, so you should carefully consider your own needs before choosing.